Friday, July 3, 2009

Buddhist Lent Street Parade, Pattaya, Thailand

It was 3rd July. As I'm not a Yank, so I didn't take any note of it (as the eve of the American Independence Day). In Thailand, 3 July is an important day for Thai people (at least for this year. The day will be different every year as this day isn't based on the Gregorian calendar). I didn't realise that until I saw a colourful street parade appeared on Beach Road at about 5 pm. The busy traffic was halted, and the parade moved westwards towards Walking Street not far from where I stood, which was opposite the beach.

Of course, the passing colourful floats didn't tell me much. If anything, I was puzzled by what the parade was all about until I saw a pupil holding the sign that explained it all.


school girl in a parade holding the sign "Buddhist Lent"
Very informative for farange like me


The parade consisted of city workers, school kids, residents and it was quite a long parade. The different floats were judged in term of its representation.

candle float in a Buddhist Lent in 2009, Pattaya, Thailand
This candle float won the first prize

The Lent marks the 3-months period where monks go back to their own temples to meditate and to do study. Worshippers would present gift to the monks - candles and whatnots - as a way to earn merit.






This was a nice pleasant surprise.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Funny Captions #81 - #100

Funny Caption #81 "I just hope you're having tea with me, not having me for tea." "That impression of a dog with your ton...